Wednesday, January 12, 2011

For My Readers

I've mentioned this in the author's notes section of BWYDT, but I feel it needs more explaining. I know I have shared with you a few screen caps that have shown the number of you there are and how much feedback I have received with that particular story. But I would like to share something a little bit more personal now.

Since I was a little kid, I have struggled with feeling inadequate. I know must people have at some point in their lives, I always have. I've tried to figure out how best to describe this to you all and my sister summed it up rather nicely for me, so I will borrow her words. Growing up, my parents expected us to do well at everything and were disappointed if we didn't live up to their expectations, wanting to know why we weren't able to. While we were always encouraged to try something new or different, our efforts were never appreciated or praised because the results were expected. Why praise something we should have been doing in the first place? They very much lived by the mentality of never saying 'you did great' but rather saying 'that was okay,  but this is what you need to do to be better'.

That left a void and a feeling that no matter how much I tried, it would never be enough or at least never what they wanted. I could never reach that level of perfection that would win their praises. It's not that they were trying to be hurtful. They were simply wanting us to keep pushing so we never settled for less of anything. I understand this, but it still hurt and has left very deep wounds that have affected me in many aspects of my life, past and present.

The reason I'm sharing this is because of all of you. Your messages, letters, reviews... all of them have filled this void. For the first time in my twenty-four years, I felt like I had done something worth while and that was appreciated. When I first started writing, it was just to write. But with BWYDT, when I added the tattoos and poetry, it became so much more for me and for most of you. I made a connection with several of you that I was never expecting and am left without words to describe how thankful I am for. To those of you who have sent me letters telling me how much that story has impacted your life, you have done the same for me. You have given me the confidence to try something and actually believe that what I'm writing is something special. That I've managed to do something well enough that you can take something away from it. Like I've finally succeeded at something. So I thank you. Thank you for giving me something that I never thought I would find.

To remind myself of this fact, that if I try, I can do something worth while, I got this.

I just got it today and it's still healing, but it's not meant how it is explained in the story. Not entirely at least. But this phrase is what everyone latched onto. This was the first real piece of me that I put into the story that I had been hesitant to share because I didn't think it would be understood. You all proved me wrong and I am so happy you did.

Not only that, but after realizing how much of an impact that story has had and how much of a positive response I have received from it, my parents are actually proud of my attempts. I know that might not sound like much, but it's a lot to me. Thank you again for giving me something I never thought I would find.

12 comments:

  1. that is fucking incredible. as someone who has read every word you've shared with us so far, i can tell you with 100% certainty that you are incredibly talented. breaking the holds that our parents sometimes put onto us is difficult, but you should remember that you have tons of us out here who admire you for the amazing things you write.

    tattoo looks rad, btw. gorgeous lettering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words have definitely found a spot in our hearts. Thank you for sharing that it actually made me tear up. Once again you are so worth every comment and fan mail you receive because every story has made us feel united in some way. By getting that tattoo you will always us in your hearts and no matter how bad your day gets that you have people who love you and have latched on to the beautiful message that you're sending through your fics.

    Love Ange

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Are. Amazing.
    You cared about your writing and your fans enough to get a tattoo related to it/them? That really is something special there, a true bond between author and readers. What you've got is hard to find and I can guarantee that you are a one of a kind person. Don't ever change at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't write right now, but i can tell you this. you are amazing, i will show you my tatto later, with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing.
    Hopefully this tattoo will always remind you of the many people you have had a deep, permanent impact on and remind you that you are anything but inadequate. You are amazing.
    With the words you choose you have affected people (me included) and helped them. You should be proud of yourself.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything people have said! You are amazing.

    @osito I love to see your tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just saw your blog .. haven't visited it for quite some time.. and i will agree with everyone.. you are amazing ...and your dedication in writing is beyond amazing... I'm glad that I'm one of a lot of people who have the privilege to read your stories... and thank you for sharing it to us... keep on smiling :D

    i love your tattoo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your writing "more than words can say" - so much so that I think, because of the absence of BWYDT, I now find myself forced into creating something that had been blocked for so long. Reading your story, in all it's 100+ chapter glory, kept poking this little piece inside of me that wanted to get out. When I stopped reading, I think it kind of went "Wait, what happened? And came out on its own."

    I owe YOU a great deal of thanks. :)

    (tinythunder @ fanfiction.net)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came late to LMAL and BWYDT but they were always the last things I read before bed. They inspired me to be truer to myself and your art (not only your talent for telling a story but the tattoos and poems) left me breathless. You are awesome! You deserve to be praised for your talent and how you've inspired people. =]
    Thank You! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. BWYDT is a beautiful story, its refreshing how much depth is has, you don't downplay people's intelligence which is appreciated. I'm not at all shocked you got a tattoo, good for you, words matter but they're often inadequate. Sometimes a kiss or hold can say what words fail, but your words are beautiful. Though I haven't finished your epic story, its been a wonderful read. About your parents-its unfortunate you've grown up that way, but at the same time you know its formed who you are. On a plus side if you have children you have learned from them what not to do. We learn from our parents/the people who raised us/gave birth to us (though none apply to me oddly enough) what to do and what not to do. Its been great to see someone write with such care and passion. Considering I have high standards and as my friend said-since high school I've been ripping people's writing apart. But your writing is on a high level of its own. I say that as a harsh critic. I hope to keep reading your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you post an updated photo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most insightful sayings that I have ever read has been "what words miss..." The entire spectrum that phrase encompasses is daunting. Let's just say that your words are something that I will carry with me forever. Thank you so much for your writings, the impact they have had on my life has been profound.

    ReplyDelete