Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Question: How/why Glee/Faberry?

I'm combining a few different questions I have received through emails or comments about how and why I started writing about the show Glee and that particular pairing. First, I'm going to start with my whole thought process on the show, because I have to admit that when I first heard about it... I wasn't interested at all. Well, I shouldn't say that. I should say that I wasn't interested enough to watch the premiere but was interested enough to click on an episode when there was nothing else on to watch. I didn't start watching it until the first thirteen episodes were available on DVD. But let me go over the very first time I actually decided that it might be a show I would be interested in.

I was flipping though channels, looking for pretty much anything to watch, when I stumbled upon Glee during a marathon showing. The episode? Preggers. The scene? When Mr. Schue gives Rachel's solo to Tina and she is ranting about how it's her solo and that everything from West Side Story is to go to her. -First thought on the show: "Man, she's a bitch." Changed the channel.

Still nothing on so I ended up back on Glee when Kurt approached Finn and stated he wasn't gay. -Second thought on the show: "Someone is in serious denial." Left the room and came back in.

Glee was still on when Rachel started singing 'Taking Chances'. -Third reaction on the show: "Holy shit... she can actually sing. Give her the damn solo." (Sits down in the chair and watches the rest of the show... and the next... and the next.)

I've always been a musical person so I was interested in the show in that aspect. However, I feared that it would end up being 'high school musical' just for a different network so I never took the time to sit down and watch it. Once I did, I was hooked. The underdog message was something everyone could relate to, but the thing I loved the most was the humor. It was quick and sarcastic. Just the way I like it.
~/~/~/~
Why write for Glee and not another, more extablished show?

I could relate to the character's on Glee more. It was easier for me to put myself in their shows and write a story around how I thought they would react. I felt very attached to the characters in most the same ways everyone else does.
~/~/~/~
Why Faberry pairing?

I LOVE the dynamics of the characters. They are enemies without any real cause for it. I have always loved the idea of two people disliking each other and after being put in a position to get to know each other, they realize that they are alike, or can relate to one another. The fact that they're both absolutely beautiful didn't really hurt either.

Now I pose a question: Why Glee/Faberry for you? Same reasons or something different?

12 comments:

  1. Glee, well for me it was my sister saying that I needed to watch it cause it was awesome and amazing and I would love it cause it was corny. I watched the first ep and was blown away by Rachel/Lea and though holy cow and was addicted.

    As for Faberry, I'm going to be completely honest. I went on fanfic.net, went to Glee, and put the pairing of Rachel & Quinn to see if there was anything and I was shocked and amazed at the amount of fic about them. Now I'm addicted and can't seem to stop reading it :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like you I thought that Glee would just be HSM, except in a 1 hour format and a new one every week. But when Neil Patrick Harris was on I had to watch, same again when they had the Rocky Horror episode. A few weeks after that episode I was bored and remembered how it'd sparked my interest. I downloaded all the ep's that were out and was hooked.

    Before Glee I'd already been a member of FF and had a few stories I was reading but they weren't updating very often, so one day I went into the Glee section and never looked back.

    As for why Faberry? Honestly? To start with I was looking for smut, but then when I got bored with that I started to actually read some of the stories and found them amazing. Then I stumbled onto yours through someone who was also writing a Faberry's profile. So yeah, there's that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched Glee since the premiere episode. I had heard the buzz about the show asn with my love of all things musical, I had to give it a shot. And I have loved it. Big fan of Jane Lynch as well!!
    As for the Faberry pairing, I generally gravitate to pairing the female leads. Not very original, I know ;-) And I the fics I leke teh best are the ones where Rachel is acknowledged as the strong, solid individual and the others realize that those characteristics are what make a person "cool"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also one of those who didn't really like it enough to watch the premiere. The first episode that I watched, that was a full episode, was The Power of Madonna. Before then, I had just randomly turned it on and watched when my shows were on commercial. But one day in class, my best friend told me to watch it that night, as it was going to be a Madonna episode. So I did, and I fell in love. I fell in love with the show, and I fell in love with the most beautiful woman in the world: Dianna Agron. I saw her and my eyes just widened, and I knew that I was hooked. From that night up until now, I have not missed a single episode of Glee. I own all of the soundtracks, DVD's, a couple posters, a few magazines, and a Glee calendar. Yeah, I am proud to say that I'm addicted to Glee.

    As for Faberry, after watching a few episodes, and going online and watching a few episodes from before, I saw how Rachel and Quinn interacted with each other. From then on, I noticed how Lea Michele and Dianna Agron were in real life and my first thought was "there is no way that they aren't dating." I am a hardcore Achele shipper, and I guess that I got into Faberry because of my love for Achele. Fanfiction.net has really fed my addiction of them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really sad when the first season ended, and upon discovering fanfiction author I found (dramatricks) and just went off of her recomends

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the Faberry question, I read about Dianna and Lea rumors, saw pictures and all that. and then i stumbled on fanfic after fanfic and then YOUR fanfic and i am reading Love Me Any Less (again) right now, so bbye :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. why would you want to do a sequel of BWYDT? dont get me wrong i love your fics but BWYDT ended great. are you sure you still want to continue that? why not continue This Time? im sorry i dont mean to be rude, i just wanted to let you know my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why Faberry?

    I only have two tv series where I'm at all interested about a girl/girl relationships.

    Glee and Buffy.
    Because in both series, I find the male characters lacking.
    Buffy has powerful female characters.
    Love Buffy/Faith. The whole Light/Dark UST thing they had going on, even in canon.
    Same as Glee.
    Sue, Rachel, Quinn, Santana. even Brittany in her own way, have a aura about them. The guys? Not so much.
    It's as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faberry just makes no sense but ship away they are fictional characters. But those here who are spreading Achele rumors it is just disrespectful to these two women. One has been in a relationship for way over a year and I've seen/heard some really awful things from Achele shippers about it being fake or plain being mean and nasty to her beau. I have also seen fans manipulate pictures of them in sexual positions and actually send them to the actors. Or spam their twitter about their own fantasy. That stuff needs to stop. And yes it is wrong if people did that with a picture of Dianna/Mark or whomever. Plus they don't need the extra burden or rumor control to deal with. They have been gracious but it is still a rumor and therefore wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. faberry the same as brittana! Because It is amazing! Ive even drawn a picture of 'em! I got into them via fanfiction(obviously)... ever since Ive had BIG glee-athon, AND seen all the cute bits between them! FaBerry (and BritTana)forever!
    Thank god for fanfiction and other things that fuel my love for them
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glee: I actually did watch the first episode - granted I was busy with schoolwork while it was on. I wasn't really paying attention, and as such did not care. I later watched the Madonna episode about a year later, but was once again busy with schoolwork and did not pay much mind to it. Then, one night I was busy with school work (about a year later), and I saw a picture of Kurt. I was like OMG he is adorable. So I looked into Glee. It was one Hulu, so I said what the hell and put on Never Been Kissed (I completely forgot about hw). I liked the show, so I watched every episode up to A Very Glee Christmas (the only ones on it). By the time the night was over I was completely hooked. (I stayed up till 3 am watching it :)

    As for Faberry. I honestly don't remember when I first became interested in it. It was through fanfiction tho. I belive it went like this: One of my favorite authors through Hannah Montana fictions wrote a Faberry story, so when i saw this, I started reading the story. I loved it and became enthralled with Faberry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like you, I never liked Glee before. I saw the commercials, thought it's damn boring and went on with my life. And then one day I was bored, there was nothing on TV, so I decided to watch Glee instead when I saw Finn and Rachel kissing in the auditorium (first ep). I find it quite interesting and started to get addicted until now. I was and still am the underdog at school. Not a lot of buddies, often dissed by the bitches and jocks (excuse the language), so I can relate to them well.

    Faberry, huh? I just find the fact that both of them as best friends behind the scenes but as enemies in the small screen intriguing. And I won't deny their beauty altogether isn't the reason for me to start reading and writing Faberry. I think I'd like a best friend like how they are to each other. Most of all, I just am enthralled with this pairing.

    ReplyDelete