Thursday, November 10, 2011

1st Cancer Post

Firstly, I want to thank absolutely everyone for their kind words, well wishes, thoughts and prayers. It is overwhelming to receive so many yet I am so unbelievable grateful for each and every one. Thank you.

I know there is a rough road ahead of me but I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet. I figure when I go to the first Oncologist appointment it will. That comes soon enough. As for right now, I am in high spirits. I mean, I'm a pretty relaxed individual to begin with. I take things as they come and don't get worked up about much. So until something comes at me with this, I'm not really feeling any nerves. Though I'm sure that will change in the next few days. lol

So I thought I would start this journey off with the decision that changed and probably in the long run will save my life, my surgery. I had actually been tempted to put it off when it was first suggested due to limited finances, but thankfully (and an odd thankfully it is) the pain was so bad that it interfered too much with my daily life to be ignored. So I did what I needed to and scheduled the surgery for as soon as I could.

For my first post, I want to remember the first real step in the right direction. And I mean... chicks dig scars, right???




It's about two inches long and the stitches just came out Monday when I found out the news. My mother joked that I waited too long because Halloween was the day BEFORE my surgery. I could have gone as Frankenstein.

Wish I could find the picture after my needle biopsies... Looked like a vampire had gotten a hold of me. (Side note, it is so red and the extra lines on my neck are from the layers of tape we had just removed. No worries.)

And now just over a week later. (And yes I purposefully wore the same shirt. I am that much of a dork.):



I will be posting another update once I get settled back home and see my new doctor on Tuesday. Thank you all again. You are making this a good start to a long journey.

4 comments:

  1. Brandi, you are going to do so well in kicking this cancer's ass. I am around a lot of cancer patients due to my nonprofit that helps kids with cancer, so I know a lot of what the Lymphoma journey entails. Though it will, to put it bluntly, suck at times, it's nothing you won't overcome and I know you are stronger than this terrible disease. Good for you for not being nervous, the sooner you accept this as part of your life (Note: NOT you entire life), the faster you'll be able to clear out all the cancer cells. We'll be with you this entire journey, and I'm rooting for you! Let me know if you need ANYTHING.

    Holly W.
    holly_walsh01@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for your strength and for not being nervous.
    And thank God you heal fast, girl. If I had done that surgery the one week later photo would be as terrible as in the moment of surgery. xD

    I hope you get better. I will keep you in my prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say good luck for your road to recovery. I can't imagine what you're going through but you definitely seem really strong! I hope you get better soon, and if you ever want a stranger to vent or talk to then drop me a message :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi, this is going to be a long, hard-fought journey. I'm not going to lie. But I know that you will get through it. Times will be shitty and there will be times where you want to give up, but I know you will be a strong girl and get through this. You have so many people behind you. If you ever need to talk, I am always here so just message me or email me :)
    thehappylesbian@hotmail.com
    thehappylesbian.tumblr.com

    Love you <3

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete