Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My All-time Favorite Poem

This poet single handedly hooked me on poetry when I was just a little kid. My parents bought me three of his books when they couldn't get me interested in reading and they won me over. I've read them cover to cover. This one has always and will always stick with me. It's called Listen to the Musn'ts (must not (s) ).

~/~/~/~/~/~
Listen to the Musn'ts
~/~/~/~/~/~

“Listen to the Musn'ts child,
Listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts,
the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves,
then Listen close to me.
ANYthing can happen, child, ANYthing can Be.”
 
Shel Silverstein (1930-1999)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I mess up with the comments....

    I like this poem.

    You're parents are something if mine have bought me a book of poetry as a kid I would have put it in the back of a drawer right away and forgot all about it and went back to my NES ^^

    I didn't truly appreciate poetry until Junior High.

    One of my favorite is "Il n'y a pas d'amour heureux" from Louis Aragon

    Here an English traduction but it more beautiful in French
    http://exquisite-corpse.blogspot.com/2005/08/il-ny-pas-damour-heureux.html

    ReplyDelete