Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to 2011!

I'm going to start off the new year with words from one of my favorite writers/philosophers, Henry David Thoreau. More specifically, ones that can be found in a single book titled Walden. For over two years Thoreau lived in a small cabin that he built himself, a mile away from his nearest neighbor, and wrote this book on his day-to-day life and the discoveries and thoughts that came to him during this period. Here are a few of my favorite quotes that I think are good lessons to begin the new year with in mind.
It is never too late to give up our prejudices. No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof. What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields.
~/~/~/~
Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?
~/~/~/~
Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that it is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate.
~/~/~/~
What old people say you cannot do, you try and find you can.

1 comment:

  1. I cant write, Im not as a bad writer as a singer but still I cant. Altough I've always loved reading and music and discovering new songs or authors or whatever, so since I started reading you I've learn lots of new things, amazing things. So thank you :)

    Happy new year! (better late than never)



    A-

    ReplyDelete