Sunday, February 6, 2011

Something Special To Share

I just got home from work and decided to check my other email account. I usually don't because most everything is sent to the one that I use for this blog, yet I decided to anyway. I had one unread message and I will post it now:
~/~/~/~

I have been following your blog since you started it and am very impressed with the scope of your phenomenal writing talent (skills is not a descriptive enough word, it falls short by miles). The pride I have in you now will be minuscule compared to what I know I will have in you later in life as you  expand beyond a blog and your fanfic endeavors.
There have been a few inaccuracies in some of your postings and being the perfectionist that you and your fans know I am, it has been difficult for me to not correct them but they are in your world so I will leave them alone. Except for one.
I will admit that I have not reacted to your "coming out" in any way. That is because there is nothing to react to.  You are still my daughter and I love you just as much now as I did before and as much before as I do now. You are also still just as aggravating.
What you need to remember and always keep in the back of your mind is that your mother and I grew up in a totally different time. Try as you might you cannot fully comprehend or grasp the full scope of that difference.  As a male of the human species I grew up learning to be strong and in control of my emotions and even though today it might not be unmanly to display your emotions to the world, I find it almost impossible to do so. Keeping everything inside is just part of me
As for your mother, she has no problem displaying her emotions. She is old school just like I am except her upbringing programmed he to be a wife and mother. That includes visualizing life down the road of her children doing the same thing. From the time she was a little girl she has practiced "family stuff" and that is a part of who she is. Nothing will ever change that.  The difference between us is that being female and Italian on top of that your mother has no problem being dramatic and vocal about her feelings.  Do not for an instant equate this with loving you any less because it wont happen.
I think I will stop at this point but I am reserving the option to comment later if the mood or uncontrollable urge strikes me.  Feel free to share this with your fans if you want or to keep it to yourself or to ignore it if that suits you.
Your loving Dad
P.S.  Your sister got her hazel eyes from me. My eyes were brown/green when I was younger just like hers are.  It even stated such on my Wisconsin drivers license.
~/~/~/~
I have since spoken with my father and thanked him for opening up as much as he did. It was more than I could have ever imagined coming from him (a man of few words).

And while I want to take all of what was said to heart, and I mostly do, I still have issues with my mother's reaction. I understand that having a gay daughter is not something someone from her generation ever expects. I get that. I understand that it's not something easy to accept. My issues with her reaction is primarily with the fact that she taught us to accept differences, to embrace them, to celebrate them even, be proud of who you are if you're different. But when given the opportunity to do so, she did the opposite on multiple occasions.
I'm not saying that she loves me any less. I guess I just feel that she let me down as a role model. We hold our parents to be the prime example of what we are suppose to strive to be and take their advice to heart, whether we follow it or not. And to believe something about someone for so long only to have it be proven incorrect when you are depending on it most... it hurts. I know my mother still loves me and I love her regardless of the things she says, but that doesn't stop them from hurting and I just wish that she would see that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh god, I cried while reading this. This is so touching. And might I add, I now love your father! I just hope that someday, your mother turns around and sees that despite you being a lesbian, you're still a wonderfull person and that she will fully accept it. And altough it hurts, it will get better and with your strenght you will get trough it. Lots of love!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad sounds like an incredible guy. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Reading what your dad said brought tears to my eyes. I'm envious that you have a father such as that. I wish for the best between you and your mother. I know it's hard for people you love to not fully accept such a lifestyle, but I do think that with time she will come around. I know it hurts, but I admire you so much for your strength to get through such a thing as this. As I stated before, everything I learn about you, every word you right, I fall in love even more. You are just an extraordinary person, and I do know that you will make it big one day, in some aspect of your life, whether it be poetry, or writing a story, or something completely different. I can't wait until that day, because I know I, along with your numerous other fans that have been with you since the beginning, will be just as excited to see what comes next from you as we are with every new poem, or every new chapter of a fanfic is posted. You truly are awesome, Brandi, and no matter what, know you always have support here. I truly believe your mother will come around, given time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, to both you and your father, for sharing this email with it. Those are the words of someone who is very proud of his daughter.

    "You are still my daughter and I love you just as much now as I did before and as much before as I do now. You are also still just as aggravating." - =) that sums up how I think things should be, you are the same person you've always been and always will be.
    It's hard to go against your upbringing and the plans you have made for your life, unless you are given very good reasons to change, and even then it takes time. Try not to let your mothers reactions get to you, even if it is hard, she is following what she knows and has been brought up to believe. Instead concentrate on the positives, and the steps she has taken. Her reaction to you coming out sounds more positive than her reaction five years ago, and who knows what her reaction might be at a future time, no one can predict the future. You can teach people to embrace differences and celebrate them, its just sometimes hard to follow what you teach. I hope that makes sense.
    She loves you and you love her, that is what is important.

    ReplyDelete